Located amid the scenic beauty of New Hampshire’s Great North Woods, the Coös County Nursing Hospital overlooks the rolling hills of Vermont across the gently flowing Connecticut River. Here those who are no longer able to live in their own home can enjoy all the comfort, warmth and professional care that we offer in our home.
We are a three floor, 90-bed Intermediate Care Facility for men and women. CCNH’s stable, long-term staff is committed to maintaining both the spirit of independence and the dignity of our residents. We are leaders in the field of long-term care, embracing the newest ideas in the medical and social aspects of providing care that is individualized for each person’s special needs and preferences.
Our historic building is continuously being renovated with new furniture, drapes, paint, and wallpaper. The home-like setting includes 28 private rooms, four sun porches, three dining rooms, a sky light lit family room, veranda, den, and a patio. A gray cat named Goldie also calls CCNH home. We are dedicated to the highest standard of hospitality to ensure each resident’s stay exceeds their expectations.
Our extensive social and activity programs help residents maintain family and community ties. We celebrate birthdays and anniversaries and assist residents in attending community functions while offering a varied in-house activity program to meet each resident’s needs and interests. Dedicated volunteers give of their time and talents throughout the year.
LICENSING AND ACCREDITATION
The Coös County Nursing Hospital is licensed and certified as an intermediate care facility and operates and provides services in compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws, regulations and codes. Copies of annual inspection reports by State and Federal agencies are available for review. Coös County Nursing Hospital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, religion, sexual preference, or disability.
HISTORY OF COÖS COUNTY NURSING HOSPITAL
On November 6, 1866, the County of Coös, New Hampshire purchased a river bottom farm in West Stewartstown for the purpose of starting an Alms House. In 1867, a three story addition to the original farm house was completed with the capacity to house 100 to 121 residents.
In 1932, the present brick masonry building was completed. This building served a dual purpose for many years. The first and second floors were used as a residential facility for the needy and the top floor provided facilities for a 35 bed general hospital.
In 1970 when the hospital operation was phased out, the County converted the building into an 82 bed intermediate care facility. One year later, the facility became licensed for 101 beds. Subsequent renovations reduced the maximum number of residents per room to four and the resident capacity to 97. Then in February of 2013, six semi-private rooms became private rooms and one four bed became a three bed. The current resident capacity is 90 with 6 provisional beds available if needed.
Coös County Nursing Hospital prides itself on the excellent quality of care it provides to its residents in a warm, home-like environment.